One Hit Wonder

I longed for the time when things are simpler, when the future doesn’t matter, the past is not a bother.

I longed for them because I have little memory of those moments. I realized that I had no recollection of my past when I chat with a friend about us growing up.


It’s a scary thought, that everything I know will fade to black, into the abyss of forgetfulness. And that everything I do remember will either be unimportant, hurtful, or at best embarrassing. That everything I love will be something I used to love.


When did it happened, from loving someone to loved someone? 


How can someone so essential, now just a stranger. How did my heart decide it’s time to move on, to let go? My mind to forget, to suppress? Because we are different now? I’m sure we have more now than what we had the first time we met.

Because we have more uncommon things now? Because we now know we are capable to hate each other? I thought love is the strongest force in the universe. How come love can’t break -- not even hate -- but just the idea of hating?


I can’t help but to wonder that all these events, all these people we met are no different than a one hit wonder. Heard it on repeat long enough, we’re sick of it. Suppressing them in our minds takes no more energy than pressing the skip button. Forgetting them all together is no harder than select all > delete.

But like those one hit wonders, they tend to creep up on us unexpectedly. Our mind works so much like a DJ, won’t take request but decided hey let’s play this shitty embarrassing song between Someone Like You and All of Me why don’t we? Fifth caller gets a mug, the first? A smug haha. Hashtag shittyFM.


But when they do play in our head,we don’t dance to them anymore, do we, the memories? We just, smile.

Yet ask me if I’m sure our silly moments were just a Mambo No. 5? 
Our dirty talks just an Ice Ice Baby?
Our heartfelt moments just an Unbreak My Heart?

I don’t know. Maybe they are, but they are the ones I’d choose to keep, ones I’d hesitate to delete. The ones I’d put on repeat.



lalalalalalala MACARENA,

lalalalalalalalala MACARENA,

HEY MACARENA!

Comments

Popular

Train to Dabong I

Dream A Little Dream of Me

Bandarasa